Emory Law strives for a world in which law provides a common framework for courageous leaders to engage our most complex social and economic challenges and to achieve positive social transformation by advancing the rule of law.
Through scholarship, teaching, and immersion in the world and its communities, Emory Law’s mission is to
- Produce scholarship and educate students regarding the role of law in defining and addressing social ills; structuring conflict; designing effective legal, political, and market institutions; informing and constraining governments; and memorializing societal commitments.
- Advance the rule of law and the resulting benefits of accountability, individual rights, social justice, thriving markets, and economic development.
- Cultivate leaders who serve the community through roles in the judiciary, government, legal education, public interest law, corporations, and law firms.
- Prepare students for a variety of careers and ever-changing legal, political, social, and market conditions by providing a rigorous education that integrates theory, doctrine, and experiential learning.
- Promote excellence by striving for diversity of its student body, faculty, and staff and by facilitating scholarly productivity and interdisciplinary exchange with members of the university, the broader academic community in the United States and abroad, and the legal profession.
Emory Law has the following goals:
- Develop and expand spheres of academic and scholarly distinction.
- Continue to build an individualized educational experience that integrates theory and practice.
- Extend the reach of a legal education, both through global engagement and distinguished graduate programs.
- Ensure the affordability, accessibility, and diversity of the Emory Law experience.
Our Core Values include the following:
- A commitment to excellence that seeks to maximize the potential of faculty, staff, and students.
- Integrity in our dealings with others, inside and outside the law school.
- An engaged community that fosters respect, collegiality, and collaboration in our scholarship, teaching, learning, and service.
- Inclusivity in the recruitment, retention, and support of students, faculty, and staff to build a community of diverse traditions, heritages, and perspectives.
- A dynamic community that approaches challenges with creativity and a commitment to innovation.