July 12, 2017 – August 1, 2017
Legal Foundations is a non-degree, non-credit summer enrichment program that surveys US law and American legal training for individuals currently studying, or who have studied, law outside of the United States. Emory Law is pleased to offer this program to our admitted students to help you prepare for your Emory Law experience. Registration will be restricted to students who have submitted an intent to enroll and deposit for one of Emory Law's programs and plan to matriculate in the fall term. Priority for registration will be given to those who register for the program before May 15, 2017. Students may register beyond that date only if space remains in the program.
- Classes four hours per day
- Cultural and legal excursions included in Program
- Housing available on campus with free shuttle service to law school and local amenities
- Location on the main campus of Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia, with convenient access to entertainment, services, and university facilities
The Legal Foundations program fee includes all lectures, workshops, curriculum materials, activities, and weekly legal and cultural excursions.
Program Fee: $2,650 (does not include housing)
Deposit: $800 due at registration (non-refundable)
On-Campus Housing: $800 (in addition to program fee)
Balance Due: Monday, July 11, 2017
The Legal Foundations course is designed to familiarize international students with the basics of the US legal system and give participants a brief overview of subject matter areas encountered in law school.
Each participant will receive the program course book, which contains all materials for the three-week course. Videos and internet materials will also be used as needed.
The Socratic Method
The Case Method
Listening to Lectures
Tactical Reading Approaches
Presenting in Public
US Communication Styles and Cultural Expectations
Overview of the US Legal System
Terminology and Basic Concepts
Participants in the Legal Foundations Program may choose to reside on campus at Emory University in apartment-style housing.
- Limited housing available on a first-come, first-served basis to participants who register and choose the program’s on-campus housing.
- Room assignments for the bedrooms in each apartment-style suite will be made by Legal Foundations staff.
- Each fully furnished apartment suite includes two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living room, and a kitchen, with cable, internet, and air conditioning.
- Bed linens, towels, dishes, cookware, and personal items are not included.
- Students who choose to secure their own housing are advised that accommodations near the university can be difficult to find during the summer. Students are strongly encouraged to take advantage of the housing offered by Emory.
Emory is well connected to the greater Atlanta area, so there are many ways to get to and from campus.
- The Emory Cliff Shuttle system is free for students and offers routes to and from the Legal Foundations Program on-campus housing, hospitals, grocery stores, shopping centers, malls, the Clairmont campus, and many other locations.
- Also check out Bike Emory for bicycling programs.
- If you choose to drive your own car to campus, note that parking on the Emory campus is either designated for visitors or requires a valid permit. Visit Emory’s Parking Services site for information on parking registration, locations, rates, and parking rules and regulations.
- MARTA, Atlanta’s public bus and rail service, has stops throughout the city. Check out rates and find a stop near you.
- We recommend that students who arrive to Atlanta via ATL Hartsfield take taxis to transfer to the campus or housing location. Please advise the Legal Foundations Program staff of your arrival flight information and time.
Incoming Emory Law students are able to enter the US with their I-20s thirty (30) days before the first day of their program (date marked on their I-20). For Emory Law students, the earliest possible arrival date to the United States is Sunday, July 9, 2017. On-campus housing is available from July 9 to August 4, 2017.
Emory Law reserves the right to cancel the Legal Foundations program in the event of under-enrollment or other compelling circumstances. In the event of cancellation, we will refund all fees, including the $800 deposit.