Emory Law congratulates the Class of 2017
University Graduation Week Activities: Open to all law students. Learn more on the University Commencement site »
172nd Commencement Exercise of Emory University: Monday, May 8, 2017; 9:00 – 10:15 a.m. on The Quadrangle. Map of Processional» (PDF)
School of Law Diploma Ceremony: Gambrell Hall Lawn (approximately 11:00 a.m., or immediately following the Emory Commencement Exercise). Family members are encouraged to arrive early to ensure parking and seating availability.
Emory Law Commencement 2016
1. Things to do before Commencement
ABA-Required JD Graduate Survey (JD STUDENTS ONLY): Please plan to complete your graduate survey by Monday, April 18; it must be finalized before you can pick up your graduation regalia. For more information, contact the Career Center.
- Financial Aid Exit Interview: Complete your exit loan interview online at https://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_SA/
- Clearing Final Charges: To avoid a universityhold on your diploma, pay all outstanding tuition, health services charges, parking, and library fines now. This information can be found on your Student Center page in OPUS.
2. Pick-up & Return Regalia
- Pick up: Between April 18 through May 5 you may pick up your regalia at the Emory Barnes & Noble Bookstore once you have completed your ABA-Required JD Graduate Survey (JD STUDENTS ONLY). (Regalia will not be distributed at the law school.)
- Return: You may return your regalia to the Emory Barnes & Noble Bookstore anytime from May 9 until May 12. (Regalia will not be collected at the law school. Please refer to your order form for details on failure to return your regalia to Barnes & Noble in a timely manner.)
To help us pronounce your name correctly during the Diploma Ceremony please submit information here. Deadline for submission is April 24, 2017.
Students can submit their Request for Hooder here. Deadline for submission is April 24, 2017.
- The attire for guest hooders is business; regalia is not required.
- Guest hooders are invited to attend both the university ceremony as well as the law school ceremony. If guests plan to attend only the law school ceremony, we recommend that you arrive by 9:00 a.m. to ensure you can find parking and your designated seating prior to the beginning of the processional.
- We provide a special reserved section of the audience so each hooder can accompany the graduate to the stage. Two seats have been reserved for the hooder and a guest in the name of the graduate.
5. Student LockersThis is a gentle reminder to all students to please remove your belongings from your lockers and leave them unlocked after your last use. All lockers will be emptied out beginning the week of May 22, 2017. Please note the following: You are welcome to keep your locker if you plan to stay this summer to study for the bar exam and can keep your locker until after the bar exam. Please be sure to contact Amish Mody (firstname.lastname@example.org) and provide your name and locker number. The deadline is May 19, to keep us from emptying your locker. For returning students, we will be sending instructions for locker access in Fall.
Hotels & Restaurants
The Emory University website includes information on hotels and restaurants for out-of-town guests.
Parking on the day of Commencement is always a challenge, so plan ahead. Visit the University website regarding campus parking »
Special NeedsIf your guests plan to attend the All Schools Central Ceremony on the Quadrangle students should submit a Special Needs Request (includes disability, impairments, or access issues) NO LATER THAN April 26, 2017. The main university will send one ticket per guest needing special seating, plus one additional ticket for someone to accompany that guest.
If your guests plan to only attend the School of Law’s Diploma Ceremony student should submit an Accommodated Seating form (including disability, impairments, or access issues) NO LATER THAN April 24, 2017. All accommodated guests will get one additional seat for someone to accompany them.
Grad Images will be the official photographer for the School of Law’s Diploma Ceremony. The photographers will be taking pictures of the ceremony, which you will be able to purchase. Each graduate will be contacted directly by Grad Images when pictures are available for order. Graduates can also go to www.gradimages.com to find their photos after graduation.
Inclement Weather Plan
The University determines if the Inclement Weather Plan will need to be put into effect. Additional information can be found on the University website under Inclement Weather »
Rain Plan Location: House of Hope at Greater Travelers Rest (4650 Flat Shoals Parkway, Decatur, GA 30034). This decision will be made by the university at 7 p.m. on Sunday night.
**Current Commencement 2017 information can be found on the University Commencement website.**
All schools at Emory University participate in online degree application submissions. Students may apply to graduate online through their OPUS account beginning January 3, 2017. The deadline to complete your application has passed. Please see the note below about the late application fee.
ATTENTION DUAL DEGREE STUDENTS ONLY: You must submit a degree application to both schools. You will apply online, in OPUS, for the degree of the school in which you are currently enrolled. A paper degree application should be completed and submitted to the other school. Online and/or paper degree applications are due to both schools by the application deadline.
Be sure to check the degree information display carefully as you apply to ensure your diploma will be ordered correctly. Double-check the following:
- Is your name spelled correctly in OPUS? (Learn more about name changes at Emory University>>)
- Are you applying for the degree you think you are?
- Is your major listed correctly?
Please know eligibility to apply for graduation does not necessarily mean that you have met all graduation requirements for your degree program.
Once the deadline to apply has passed, the option to apply online will no longer be available in OPUS. After the deadline, late degree applications will need to be completed using the paper form available from your school or on the Office of the Registrar's website. An application received after the deadline for the term must be accompanied by a $25.00 late application fee and submitted to your school. If a late application is accepted by the Office of the Registrar there is no guarantee the diploma will be available at commencement, particularly for spring degree applicants.