Emory @ Work
Emory University School of Law's Emory @ Work program seeks to strengthen relationships with our alumni by connecting with them through workplaces and law firms. We believe that partnerships with participating law firms help the law school remain relevant for alumni, keep pace with economic trends, and stay abreast of contemporary legal practice.
To further this mission, Emory @ Work connects Emory Law with participating law firms to raise funds for the Law School Fund for Excellence through the Emory@Work campaign, to keep you informed of developments at Emory Law through Your Dean @ Work, and to provide legal education through CLEs @ Work.
How It Works
Alumni volunteers serve as firm agents for each of the participating firms, contacting their colleagues to offer the opportunity to support this annual giving campaign. We encourage attorneys to consider giving at least the equivalent of one billable hour to the Law School Fund for Excellence.
Firms are divided into groups based on the number of Emory alumni at that firm. At the end of the fiscal year, firms in each group are recognized for achieving the highest percentage of alumni participation as well as for the largest average gift.
Campaign Schedule: April 1 to May 15. All gifts made to Emory Law by an alumnus/a at a participating firm during the fiscal year (September 1 – August 31) count toward the Emory @ Work Campaign challenge.
2014 Emory @ Work Results
- Twenty-eight firms participated in the 2014 Emory @ Work campaign, reaching out to 521 alumni.
- Fifty-two percent of alumni at participating firms made a gift to Emory Law.
- Emory @ Work participants raised $214,616 for Emory Law school during the 2013-14 year.
The following firms and firm agents received special recognition for their campaign performance in 2014.
100% Alumni Participation: Berman Fink Van Horn P.C.—Ben Fink 92L; Chamberlain, Hrdlicka, White, Williams & Aughtr—James Kane 90L; Thompson Hine—Gary Freed 81L
Outstanding Alumni Participation
Group 3: King & Spalding—Scott Greer 95L, Lauren Gennett 12L 12PH, Greg Sicilian 07L; Group 2: Troutman Sanders LLP—Chuck Palmer 86L & Kate Hopkins 13L
Firms Achieving Highest Average Gifts
Group 1: Bondurant Mixon & Elmore LLP—Jay Elmore 76L; Group 2: Ford & Harrison LLP–Marc Esposito 95L; Group 3: King & Spalding—Scott Greer 95L, Lauren Gennett 12L 12PH, Greg Sicilian 07L
2014 Emory @ Work Participants
- Alston & Bird LLP
- Arnall Golden Gregory LLP
- Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, PC
- Ballard Spahr LLP
- Berman Fink Van Horn P.C.
- Bingham McCutchen LLP
- Bondurant Mixon & Elmore LLP
- Bryan Cave LLP
- Burr & Forman LLP
- Chamberlain, Hrdlicka, White, Williams & Aughtry
- Elarbee, Thompson, Sapp & Wilson, LLP
- Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP
- Ford & Harrison LLP
- Greenberg Traurig LLP
- Holland & Knight LLP
- Hunton & Williams LLP
- Jones Day
- King & Spalding
- Lawler Green Prinz & Gleklen LLC
- McGuireWoods LLP
- McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP
- Morris, Manning & Martin, LLP
- Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart P.C.
- Seyfarth Shaw LLP
- Smith, Gambrell & Russell, LLP
- Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP
- Thompson Hine
- Troutman Sanders LLP
Your Dean @ Work
Dean Robert Schapiro visits participating firms to support the Emory @ Work initiative, updating alumni about current developments and the "state of the school" of Emory Law.
These events continue the connection between alumni and their law school while reinforcing the importance of supporting the Law School Fund for Excellence through participation in the Emory @ Work Campaign.
Your Dean @ Work events further emphasize our belief that Emory Law remains relevant for our alumni after graduation and throughout their careers.
Thank you to the firms who hosted events in 2014:
Alston & Bird, LLP
Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell, and Berkowitz, PC
Troutman Sanders, LLP
Smith, Gambrell & Russell, LLP
Holland & Knight
Berman Fink Van Horn, P.C.
Emory Law partners with our Emory @ Work firms to provide Continuing Legal Education (CLE) opportunities for alumni.
This year we are focusing on offering expertise to the legal community in less than 60 minutes, or .9 of a billable hour, in our Emory Law @ Work: Point Nine Lecture Series. If you would like to participate in Emory @ Work and host a CLE in the future, please contact Tracy Delgado.
- December 10, 2014- Troutman Sanders LLP, Atlanta
Supreme Court Hot Topic: North Carolina State Board of Dental Examiners v. FTC and the Antitrust State-Action Doctrine. Presented by Associate Professor Sasha Volokh.
- January 2015- Emory Law School
Ethics with a Twist. Presented by Professor Jim Elliott.
- March 2015 - Chamberlain, Hrdlicka, White, Williams & Aughtry, Commerce Club, Atlanta
- May 2015- Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice, LLP, Atlanta
- July 2015- King & Spalding, Atlanta
Supreme Court Round-up. Presented by Dean Robert Schapiro.