Welcome, Class of 2017
We look forward to seeing you on campus in August.
Welcome Week: Monday, August 11 - Friday, August 15, 2014
First Day of Classes: Monday, August 18, 2014
Join the Class of 2017 Facebook page and connect with your 1L classmates. You can network with students coming to Emory Law from your region, share housing opportunities and look for potential roommates, and get helpful tips from current students who are happy to share their experiences and suggestions.
Welcome Week 2014
|8:00–9:00 a.m.||2nd Floor Connector & Hunter Atrium||Check-in for Amazing Race and House assignments|
|9:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m.||Tull Auditorium (start)||Annual Emory Law Amazing Race|
|12:30-1:00 p.m.||Tull Auditoriuim||"Suiting Up for the Legal Profession" hosted by Legal Association of Women Students (LAWS)|
|2:00–4:00 p.m.||Classroom 1E||ISSS new student orientation, required for all international students|
|2:00–5:00 p.m.||On and off campus locations||Community service projects with Houses|
Tuesday, August 12: Welcome to the Emory Law Community
|8:00 -9:00 a.m.||2nd Floor Connector & Hunter Atrium||Continental Breakfast; Official Check-in & House Assignments (mandatory)|
|9:00-10:00 a.m.||Tull Auditorium||Deans' welcome; introduction to Emory Law faculty|
|10:15 a.m.-1:00 p.m.|
Students will rotate as groups through three sessions. (Check OPUS and name tag for section assignments.)
Section OBD: Library/IT presentations and new web overview, Room 1C
Section OAE: Meet your Emory Law community, Room 1D
Section OCF: Student Services expo, Student Commons
|11:15 a.m.-12:00 p.m.|
Section OCF: Library/IT presentations and new web overview, Room 1C
Section OBD: Meet your Emory Law community, Room 1D
Section OAE: Student Services expo, Student Commons
Section OAE: Library/IT presentations and new web overview, Room 1C
Section OCF: Meet your Emory Law community, Room 1D
Section OBD: Student Services expo, Student Commons
|12:30-2:00 p.m.||Bacardi Plaza and Student Commons||Annual Student Bar Association (SBA) Cookout|
|2:00–4:00 p.m.||Student Commons||Library & IT tours by House: Decatur, Druid Hills, Kirkwood, and Midtown Houses (meet in Student Commons)|
Wednesday, August 13: Welcome to the Emory Law Academic Experience
|8:00–9:00 a.m.||Hunter Atrium||Check-in; Mix-and-Mingle Breakfast with Emory Law Community (Student Commons)|
|9:30–11:00 a.m.||Tull Auditorium||Panel: The "Real Deal" on Student Life at Emory Law, presented by the Student Bar Association (SBA)|
|11:15 a.m.–12:00 p.m.|
|Faculty overview of 1L curriculum.|
|12:00-1:00 p.m.||Rooms 1C, 1D, and 1E|
Breakout by large section: "Beyond the Paper Chase."
Section OAF: Room 1C
Section OBC: Room 1D
Section ODE: Room 1E
|1:00-2:00 p.m.||Student Commons||Multicultural Food Fair (lunch)|
|2:00-5:00 p.m.||On and off campus locations||Community service projects with Houses|
Thursday, August 14: Welcome to Your First Class
|8:00–8:30 a.m.||Student Commons||Check-in and Continental breakfast|
LWRAP classes - Legal Writing, Research, and Advocacy Program
|10:15–11:45 a.m.||Rooms 1C, 1D, and 1E|
Civil Procedure classes (by large sections)
Section OAB: Room 1C
Section OEF: Room 1D
Section OCD: Room 1E
|11:45 a.m.–12:30 p.m.||Tull Auditorium||Career Center introduction|
|12:30–1:00 p.m.||Tull Auditorium||Emory University policies, presented by Campus Life|
|1:00–3:00 p.m.||Student Commons and Room 1B||Lunch and EPIC Used Book Sale|
|3:00-5:00 p.m.||Student Commons||Library and IT tours (by House: Morningside, Virginia Highland, and Sweet Auburn)|
|5:00–7:00 p.m.||Miller Ward Alumni House (main campus, free parking available)||Dean's Welcome Reception for all new students with faculty and alumni|
Friday, August 15: Welcome to the Legal Profession
Professional attire (suits) required
|8:00–9:00 a.m.||2nd Floor Connector & Hunter Atrium; Classroom 1C||Continental breakfast and Professionalism program check-in; professional photo shoot|
|9:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m.||Tull Auditorium and various classrooms||Professionalism program|
|12:30-1:30 p.m.||The Beach & Student Commons||Lunch with the Emory Law community|
|1:30-3:00 p.m.||Classroom 1C||Professional photo shoot|
Fall 2014 Book Lists
Please review your Section’s Book List and the LWRAP Book List as you will need books from both.
Fall 2014 1L Schedules
The Office of Admissions will email students their Section and LWRAP assignments.
As you prepare to join us at Emory Law, we have a checklist of actions and forms to complete this summer.
*NEW* Complete the Haven Online Education Module. All incoming Emory University students are required to complete the Haven online education module. This module will provide you with information on preventing and responding to interpersonal violence in the Emory community. It takes approximately 30 minutes to complete (closed captioning is available for video portions). All Emory Law students must complete this course by Friday, August 15. Click here to begin Haven » For more information on Haven or technical support please email firstname.lastname@example.org » For more information on free and confidential support resources at Emory University or near you (if you are not on currently on campus) please visit The Respect Program »
1. American Bar Association (ABA) regulations require that we receive a hardcopy of your final undergraduate transcript indicating the date of your degree conferral. Please send an original, final transcript to Rogenia Gouch, Emory Law Admission, 1301 Clifton Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30322. (Transcripts sent to LSAC do not fulfill this requirement.)
2. Health Forms and Insurance Requirements. Complete all required student health information and health forms online with Emory University's online Health Services Portal »
3. Register for On-Campus Parking. Online registration will open later this summer. Review campus parking options at http://parking.emory.edu »
5. Log In to OPUS (Online Pathway to University Students), your portal to student accounts, the registrar, and many other services at Emory. Explore OPUS and get familiar with the resources you will use as an Emory Law student.
6. Create an Emory Email Account » We will activate your Emory e-mail account in early July. You will then access your account using the same NetID and password that you use for OPUS access. Your email address is your NETID(at)emory.edu.
If you attended Emory as an undergraduate student, your default Emory account is your Exchange account. Forward messages from Learnlink or EagleMail to your new Exchange account.
7. Upload Your Photo for Your EmoryCard (Student ID) » The EmoryCard is the official ID Card of Emory University. It permits access to facilities and events and can be used to purchase goods and services at the university and at a wide range of merchants throughout the community. The image you upload must be on a white or solid neutral background.
During Orientation, your IDs will be available at check-in each morning.
8. Review our Laptop and Computer Recommendations: Emory Law students are required to own a computer. We recommend that you invest in a new notebook computer from a reputable manufacturer with a three-year warranty. Try to purchase a notebook computer that balances light weight and long battery life. Most exams are taken on computer and most faculty members permit students to take notes on computer in class. The law school supports both Mac and Windows systems. The University provides anti-virus software and the University plans to provide Microsoft Office365 to students beginning in fall, 2014. Barnes and Noble at Emory offers an excellent bundle package for students' technological needs. Learn more »
Information effective as of July 24, 2014
Emory University does not provide on-campus graduate housing.
While we are unable to recommend specific properties, there are several nearby complexes to consider. You may also want to network with peers via the Class of 2017 Facebook page for roommate opportunities.
Nearby Apartment Complexes
- Post Briarcliff »
- Clairmont Reserve »
- Emory Pointe »
- Highland Lake »
- Apartments at President Park »
- Campus Crossings Briarcliff »
- Emory University provides »
Students with disabilities can contact Emory's Office of Disability Services for specific information on obtaining an Individualized Accommodation Plan.